Over nine seasons of How I Met Your Mother, we’ve seen the gang fall in love, have their hearts broken and everything in between. And along the way, they’ve taught us some important lessons in love. Here are some of the most important ones.
1. Live life in the present.
“You can’t jump straight to the end, the journey is the best part.” – Robin Scherbatsky
Living life and appreciating those around you at an exact moment in time, is what is truly important. Be grateful, be spontaneous, be generous. Don’t get bogged down too much by what it will be. Just cherish what it’s like now.
2. Wait for the one who is your kind of crazy.
We are all a little weird, and life’s a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them to fall in mutual weirdness and call it love.
3. Don’t let the wait drive you crazy, though. He/she will come along eventually.
There are more than 7 billion people people in the world and at least one of them has got to be perfect for you. Separated only by time and space. How easy is that!
4. And you will know who that one is when they make everyday epic.
Every cloud has a silver lining when you are in love.
5. It’s OK if you don’t share the same obsessions in life.
After all what matters is the chemistry, isn’t it?
6. But common passions help go a long way.
Go get ‘em together!
7. Set expectations for yourself about who you want to be with.
Find somone who is perfect for you to annoy for the rest of your life.
8. But when you do fall in true love, none of that will really matter any more.
You don’t fall in love with someone just because they interesect at some point in your graph. You fall in love with their perfect imperfections .
9. And then you’ve got to be the right mix of confident and mushy to woo them.
Also, be yourself. You’re legendary.
10. It’s perfect when the one you love is also your best friend.
Because you don’t need a graph or a horoscope to decide who you should be with. You need a partner-in-crime, a best friend, someone to laugh everything away with.
11. That is when it stops being just momentary infatuation and becomes a lifetime of perpetual awesomeness.
12. And you can tackle anything the world throws at you together.
13. You have your share of doubts sometimes. But it’s good that you do!
Thinking about the ‘us’, even if in the negative, is a first step to giving your relationship serious consideration. So even if you have your doubts, it’s awesome that it got to that stage where you had them. Mull over it, consider the practicalities, and don’t forget point #1 – remember to live in the present.
14. Things may not ALWAYS go your way, but hey, you can take time out to give yourself some space.
15. But remember that arguments can always be paused.
No matter how big the fight, you can put your differences aside and remember what’s really important: each other!
16. And those ‘pauses’ always result in a ‘stop’.
After all, how long can you act like you can stay away from each other?
17. Don’t close the door on love. It will find you anyway.
Right when you least expect it, love will be right there, engulfing you in its warm bear hug. So watch out and try not to flinch when it surprises you.
Find your love on Woo, India’s #1 matchmaking app, that connects you with interesting, like-minded people with interests like yours, near you.
Download Woo for Android and iOS here: